NWHA Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stopping smoking

+2
Katherna
imagranny
6 posters

Go down

stopping smoking Empty stopping smoking

Post by imagranny Thu May 01, 2008 12:36 am

Can anyone help me to stop smoking? I gave up about 10 years ago for 7 years, and then started again - I can't remember why, but I wish I hadn't. I've tried patches, and gave up for about 6 weeks, then started again, and I've tried cold turkey and cutting down - but can't keep away! Any tips will be more than welcome, cos I'm starting to get really out of breath when walking up hills. I don't have any coughing problems, but I know it's only a matter of time!
imagranny
imagranny

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

stopping smoking Empty Re: stopping smoking

Post by Katherna Thu May 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Perhaps a trip to Boots the Chemist to see the pharmacist. They can offer lots of different treatments not just the patches, and it's a free service, they give you a consultation and then you can hopefully find a solution that will help you.

Katherna

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by imagranny Thu May 01, 2008 3:38 pm

Katherna wrote:Perhaps a trip to Boots the Chemist to see the pharmacist. They can offer lots of different treatments not just the patches, and it's a free service, they give you a consultation and then you can hopefully find a solution that will help you.

Thank you for that good advice - I didn't know it was a free service - I had looked at the prices of Nicotinell etc and couldn't afford them, and although I could have got something on prescription I didn't want to bother the doctor because they are so busy and it's a job getting an appointment. cheers
imagranny
imagranny

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherna Fri May 02, 2008 3:01 am

I only found out about it after asking the nurse after a routine check at the docs, she sent me to Asda and the pharacist there sent me to Boots. They give you a form to fill out and take back, then they give you a quick check - lung capacity etc; then they can sort you out a course of action. You have to visit them for a certain amount of time, but if it helps you to stop smoking then it's all worth it.

Katherna

Back to top Go down

Post by imagranny Fri May 02, 2008 1:50 pm

thanks again - I'll chase off to Boots and get on the case!
imagranny
imagranny

Back to top Go down

Post by pdiggy Wed May 14, 2008 10:51 pm

Good evening Kat, I found acupuncture extremely helpful when, my sessions finished two years ago and I have not smoked since, the smoking restrictions in my local were a Godsend, I have found my bank balance a lot healthier also. Good luck with your quest to give up smoking. cyclops

pdiggy

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by imagranny Thu May 15, 2008 1:17 am

pdiggy wrote:Good evening Kat, I found acupuncture extremely helpful when, my sessions finished two years ago and I have not smoked since, the smoking restrictions in my local were a Godsend, I have found my bank balance a lot healthier also. Good luck with your quest to give up smoking. cyclops

Thanks for this idea - was acupuncture expensive -and did it hurt (I've always had a thing about needles!). affraid I did try hypnotherapy to try to lose weight, but it didn't work - but willing to have a go at anything else.Kat - I've tried to sign up at my local pharmacy, but the pharmacist always has a queue of prescriptions to do, and hasn't had time yet!
imagranny
imagranny

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Drew Thu May 15, 2008 2:14 pm

I've only just seen the posting but want to say "good luck". Just to say that if you once stopped for 7 years you've got what it takes - so take heart and look back on that experience as a triumph, not as a failure, just because you eventually cracked. I gave up some time ago (6th October 1980 since you ask!) and I tell myself that I could still drift back but even if I did, the time spent as a non-smoker must count for something. So whether it's cold turkey, patches, whatever (a mix, perhaps?) go for it and be insufferable as you triumph! (Ex-smokers are far worse than non-smokers at being righteous about it all!) Good luck!
Chris Drew
Chris Drew

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherna Thu May 15, 2008 2:36 pm

I've had accupuncture and no it didn't hurt, if you see the needles they're really fine although they look long they're not pushed all the way into the skin. I found it quite relaxing actually, and it worked ... I had bad syatica (not sure if this is how you spell it) and was sick of taking tablets for it, so I tried accupuncture. It was quite expensive but it meant that I didn't have to take any pain killers or any other tablets, I also had accupuncture for migraines at the same time and touch wood haven't had any of those for a long time now Smile I think with the smoking if one method doesn't work then try another one. Good luck Smile

Katherna

Back to top Go down

Post by imagranny Thu May 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Chris Drew wrote:I've only just seen the posting but want to say "good luck". Just to say that if you once stopped for 7 years you've got what it takes - so take heart and look back on that experience as a triumph, not as a failure, just because you eventually cracked. I gave up some time ago (6th October 1980 since you ask!) and I tell myself that I could still drift back but even if I did, the time spent as a non-smoker must count for something. So whether it's cold turkey, patches, whatever (a mix, perhaps?) go for it and be insufferable as you triumph! (Ex-smokers are far worse than non-smokers at being righteous about it all!) Good luck!
-

thanks Chris, will try my hardest - I think when you stop and then start again you actually smoke more, so then it becomes harder, but I will give it a good go !
imagranny
imagranny

Back to top Go down

Post by imagranny Thu May 15, 2008 11:54 pm

Katherna wrote:I've had accupuncture and no it didn't hurt, if you see the needles they're really fine although they look long they're not pushed all the way into the skin. I found it quite relaxing actually, and it worked ... I had bad syatica (not sure if this is how you spell it) and was sick of taking tablets for it, so I tried accupuncture. It was quite expensive but it meant that I didn't have to take any pain killers or any other tablets, I also had accupuncture for migraines at the same time and touch wood haven't had any of those for a long time now Smile I think with the smoking if one method doesn't work then try another one. Good luck Smile

That's reassuring! I'll make a few enquiries and get on the case - but haven't given up about the pharmacy - SOMETHING WILL WORK !
imagranny
imagranny

Back to top Go down

Post by helen_mawson Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:05 am

Just don't buy any cigarettes! ;-)

helen_mawson

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by imagranny Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm

helen_mawson wrote:Just don't buy any cigarettes! ;-)

I got some patches, and they kept falling off all the time - I had to stick them back on with the white plaster bandage! Then my other half, who smokes like a chimney - was taken into hospital. I didn't buy any cigs, and he was in for ten days, and I didn't smoke. That was 6 weeks ago and I haven't had one since, so I am now a non-smoker. He came out of hospital, kept off the cigs for 3 weeks, and went back on them - so although he's polluting my environment I haven't given in, and you're right - I don't buy any, so I don't smoke any!
imagranny
imagranny

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Webster Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:53 pm

Thats fantastic news you've done without for 6 weeks! Good on you. Smile
Jason Webster
Jason Webster
Admin

Number of posts : 64